The Intercontinental Hotel
On the right is the renowned Intercontinental Hotel, which was opened in 1974.
Na Františku Hospital
The buildings of the Na Františku Hospital - formerly the Monastery of the Brothers of Mercy with its hospital and the Church of St Simon and St Jude. The church, which was built in the years 1615-1620, originally served as the oratory of the Czech Brethren. On the bank beside these building is the new public hospital, built in the years 1923 - 1927 by architect V. Kvasnička. In the old hospital of the order the first anatomy lecture room was established in 1761 and in 1779 the only Czech clinic. In the year 1797 - 1827 this was the workplace of the outstanding doctor and composer Jan Theobald Held, a well-known patriot from the works of Alois Jirásek. He also treated J. Dobrovský here.
It is also worth mentioning the year 1847, when the head doctor here, P. C. Opitz, carried out the first anaesthesia in Austro-Hungary.
The St Agnes Cloister and the Ministry of Industry
The cloister was founded by Wenceslas I before 1234 at the instigation of his sister, St Agnes of the Order of the Clares, which St Agnes brought to Bohemia and became their first abbess.
The Early Gothic structure, completed around 1280, represents a complex of churches and cloister buildings constructed in the 13th century and basically untouched by later building alterations.
The cloister was abolished in the Josephine Reforms in 1782. Apart from stone there was also use made of bricks as building material. At present it is used as an exhibition hall of the National Gallery for the collections of 19th century art.
This is the scene of the novel by Gustav Pfleger Moravský - From a Small World, the novella of Zikmund Wintr - Rosina Sebranec, the prose and verse of Géza Včelička - Prague Secret, the Police Hour, Cloister Street, and the novel by Karel Čapek Chod - The Jindras.
Behind the cloister and before the Štefanik Bridge - river km 51.5 - is the large building constructed in 1932 according to the plans of architect J. Fanta for the Ministry of Heavy Industry.
We are now sailing under the Štefanik Bridge, built in the years 1949 - 1951 in place of the old chain bridge of Franz Josef I dating from 1868 and dismantled in the years 1946 - 1947. Its popular name is the Elisabeth Bridge - it was a continuation of Elisabeth Road, now called Revoluční. The name of Elisabeth relates to the wife of Franz Josef I - the Empress Elisabeth, known as Sisi.
The foundation stone for the old bridge was laid and blessed on 19 October 1865 by Cardinal Bedřich Schwarzenberg. On 30 April 1868 the weight-bearing tests were carried out by driving cattle over it and mounted troops, after which, according to the wishes of the Mayor Dr. Bělský, "they desisted from further ill-treatment of the construction." On 13 May 1868 the bridge was opened with a ceremony attended by Emperor Franz Josef I, who permitted the bridge to bear his name.
Before us is the largest of the Prague islands in the Vltava - Štvanice. It is 1250 metres long and 190 metres wide. Mention was made of it as long ago as in 1118, when it was called the Large Island. Later, because of the large number of adjoining islands, it was known as Great Venice, and then Hetz and finally Štvanice. This is a reminder of a favourite pastime of the people of Prague, which was organised here in particular in the second half of the 18th century. In a large wooden theatre the baiting took place of bulls, bears and various wild animals. These amusements were not definitively forbidden until 1816. Later there were restaurants here, balls and dances were held and also performances of the puppet theatre.
In 1932 the first ice stadium in the Republic was constructed here. On the other half of the island tennis courts with 10 courts and a covered hall were built in the years 1983 - 1986. The new central court has room for 7,000 seated onlookers.
The striking dominant feature of the island is a small power station utilising the energy of the flow of the river. It was built in the years 1913 - 1914 and was used up to 1972. It was re-opened again on 1 February 1988. Working in it are three horizontal Kaplan turbines with a total output of 5.7 MW, utilising the difference in the water levels caused by the Helmovský Weir.
On the left is the raft sluice with fenders dating from the time when the Vltava still remembered the greatest glory of the rafters.
With the view of the tower of St Anthony's Church and the Expo 1958 Restaurant on the edge of the Letná Plan as we turn we set course for the centre of Prague.
The Rudolf Channel
The little house on the bank on the right marks the entrance to a unique waterworks from the time of Rudolf II, known as the Rudolf Channel, which used to supply the fishponds in the Royal Hunting-ground, now Stromovka, with water from the Vltava. The cutting of this channel, which is 988 metres long, was directed by the chief steward Lazar Ecker of Šrekfelz for a period of 10 years, which is how long it took to complete the work. The Emperor had the work documented by draftsman of the Court Chamber, Isák Phendler, in Spanish. The documentation contains the technical data, work procedures and data on the cuttings through between the five shafts built along the route of the channel. Above each shaft was a hoisting house with a windlass and beside it a chimney connected with the tunnel to lead off the "evil airs". The construction was completed in 1593. The channel has been repaired many times. In some places it narrows down to only half a metre and its height also varies, sometimes being only just over 2 metres. It takes just under 60 minutes to walk through the tunnel.
Svatopluk Čech Bridge
This is the only bridge constructed in the Art Nouveau style. The steel construction rests on stone pillars. With its length of 169.10 metres it is also the shortest of the Prague bridges. It was built according to the plans of architect Jan Koul in the years 1905 - 1908. The statues of winged female figures with branches on the top of each pillar are the work of sculptor Antonín Popp. On the abutments downstream are dragons guarding the emblem of the city, upstream there are torchbearers - female figures with torches.
The Chapel of St Mary Magdalene and the Municipal Bathing-pool
Beside the bridge on the right we can see the Chapel of St Mary Magdalene, dating from 1635, constructed as a central building according to the plans of the Italian builder Giovanni de Barrifis. This is the former chapel of the Cyriacs at the Greater Holy Cross. This little Baroque chapel was moved upstream 30.75 metres during reconstruction of the bridgehead. The plans were prepared by Academician Stanislav Bechyně and after complicated preparation and the securing of the entire building it was moved in February 1956, the first building to be moved in this country.
The building beside the chapel is the Municipal Bathing-pool, built in 1840 according to the plans of architect Kramer, and it served its function for more than 150 years.
The Letná Tunnel
This was constructed in the years 1949 - 1953 for better connection of central Prague to Letná and Dejvice. On the plain it was built by means of an open ditch. An innovation was the use of concrete blocks instead of the stone used previously. The arch of the tunnel is lined with ceramic tiles. Its length is 426 metres, width 10.33 metres and height 7 metres.
The Hanavský Pavilion and the Kramář Villa
On the brow of the Letná Gardens we can see the Art Nouveau Hanavský Pavilion, made of cast-iron in 1891 for the Jubilee Exhibition. It was moved from the exhibition grounds to its site on Letná in 1898, when Prince Vilém Hanavský, owner of the Komárov Foundry near Hořovice, donated it to the city of Prague. The exhibition was called the Jubilee Exhibition because it was held in 1891 in memory of the Industrial Exhibition that took place in 1791 on the occasion of the Coronation of Leopold II as the Czech King.
The pavilion was dismantled in 1967, models were made of the missing and damaged parts according to historical photographs, new casts were produced and the pavilion put together again.
At the end of the Letná Gardens a villa was built in the years 1908 - 1911 for the Prime Minister, Vincenc Kramář, by the builder Vrána according to the project of architect B. Ohmann. It stands on the preserved bastion No. XIX of the city fortifications.
The Straka Academy
The building on the right is the former Straka Academy, built in the years 1891 - 1896 according to the project of architect V. Roštlapil, which is now the seat of the Office of the Government Presidium. The neo-Baroque building was used as a secondary school for the sons of impoverished noblemen from the trust of Count Petr Straka of Nedabylice. On the site of the academy there was an extensive garden right from the 15th century, which was later acquired by the Jesuits, who established a botanic garden here and built the Chapel of St Ignatius and a summerhouse. After the order was abolished in 1773 the summerhouse was adapted as a dance house and later there was a dyeing plant here, pulled down in 1893.
Prague Castle and the Strahov Monastery
Right in front of the prow of the boat a panoramic view is opening up of Prague Castle, once the seat of the Czech Kings and after 1918 of the Presidents of our Republic.
In the forefront we can see the Black Tower, a remnant of the Romanesque fortifications of the Castle from the 2nd quarter of the 12th century, and the former Lobkovický Palace, built in the second half of the 16th century. Behind them are the towers of St Vitus Cathedral - the highest reaches a height of 99 metres. In this tower hangs the largest bell in Bohemia, "Zikmund" - the work of bell founder Tomáš Jaroš from Brno, cast in 1549.
To the left of Prague Castle one can see the Strahov Monastery, founded at the instigation of the Bishop of Olomouc, Jindřich Zdík, in 1140 by Vladislav II for the Premonstrate Order. The National Museum of Literature is housed in this monastery. The Strahov Library contains a unique collection of manuscripts, incunabulae and prints, collections of engravings and maps, globes and other items.
The House of Artists and the Museum of Applied Art
In front of the Mánes Bridge is the House of Artists, formerly known as the Rudolfinum in honour of Prince Rudolf. The House of Artists is the most important Prague neo-Renaissance building by the architects Josef Zítek and Josef Schulz from the years 1876 - 1884. In the years 1918 - 1939 it was the seat of the House of Deputies of the Republic. On the attic gables around the building are the statues of important composers and artists by the sculptors L. Šimek, B. Seeling, T. Seidan, B. Schnirch and others.
Beyond the House of Artists is the building of the Museum of Applied Art. It was built in the years 1897 - 1901 according to the plans of architect J. Schulz in the style of the French Renaissance.
The Mánes Bridge - river km 52.7
The building of this bridge was rendered necessary by the new transport link from the centre of Prague to Hradčany and Dejvice. It was built of compressed concrete in the years 1911 - 1914 according to the project of architects Antonín Balšánek and Josef Šakař. The bridge is 186.5 metres long and 15.5 metres wide.
In this place there stood a chain footbridge from 1868. It was a chain suspension bridge construction. The iron construction was supplied by the bridge manufacturers of Ruston and Son. The surface of the footbridge consisted of planks placed on cast-iron sills.
The Churches of St Nicholas and St Thomas
The view of the Lesser Town of Prague is crowned by the cupola of the Church of St Nicholas. This is a monumental Baroque building from the years 1703 - 1755, designed by the architects Kryštof Dienzenhofer and his son Kilián Ignác. With the building of this church the Jesuits demonstrated their power and their victory over the Reformation and the teaching of John Hus. When Pope Clement XIV abolished the Jesuit Order in 1773 it became the parish church for the Lesser Town. The interior of this church is the most splendid example of the pomposity of Supreme Baroque in Prague. On the vaulting of the main nave is a splendid ceiling fresco of the Celebration of St Nicholas from 1761 by Jan Lukáš Kraker.
To the right of the tower of St Nicholas there can be seen the slender spire of the Church of St Thomas with the former Augustinian Monastery founded in 1285. In 1358 the monastery brewery was built in the monastery grounds, later reconstructed.
The Crusaders' Church
We are now approaching Charles Bridge. To the left before the bridge we can see the Baroque church of the Crusaders with the Red Star with the former convent and cloister by the river. Today's Church of the Crusaders was built in the years 1679 - 1689 according to the plans of the French architect Jean Baptiste Mathey. The order of the Crusaders with the Red Star came into being from the hospital fraternity founded by St Agnes as the only Czech monastic order. In 1252 the order was given the emblem of a red cross with a star. The period of fame of this order were the years 1561 - 1694, when the Grand Masters of the order were also the Archbishops of Prague.
Beyond the Church of the Crusaders is the extensive area of the Clementinum, the oldest seat of the Prague Jesuits, who came here in 1556. Shortly after their arrival they commenced their extensive building activity. The oldest part of the monastery was built after 1563 and the construction of the entire complex of buildings took almost 200 years.
Above the buildings rises the astronomers' tower of the years 1721 - 1723, from which the continuous monitoring of the weather began in 1775. It was also from here that the signal was given in the past to the cannoneers on the ramparts who then informed the people of Prague that it was precisely noon by the firing of a shot. In the years 1928 - 1930 the Clementinum was adapted for the purposes of a modern library service. The State Library and the Technical Library are housed here.
Charles Bridge - river km 53
We are now sailing up to the historical bridge that has been known as Charles Bridge since 1870. It was founded by the Emperor in 1357 alongside the older stone bridge known as the Judith Bridge, which was built around 1170. The foundation stone was laid by the Emperor himself and the construction of the bridge was entrusted to Petr Parléř, who also built the Old Town Bridge Tower, the most beautiful medieval tower in Europe. The sculptures decorating the bridge are a set of 30 group statues from the period of the 18th and 19th centuries and they represent the best baroque sculptors of the Brokoff family, as well as the works of J. O. Mayer, M. B. Braun and V. M. Jackel. Of the later sculptors represented we have Josef Max and professor Karel Dvořák.
Here - under the fourth arch of the bridge - lived one of the chief water goblins of Prague. He did not get on very well with his neighbours on the Kampa.
Until 1841 it was the only transport link between the two banks of the Vltava. It was damaged by floods many times, for the last time in 1890. It is 518 metres long, bent, just under 10 metres wide and stands on 16 pillars.
To the right, on the slopes of the Petřín Gardens, can be seen the building of the Nebozízek Restaurant, originally a vineyard well known already at the beginning of the 15th century. Since 1433 it has been known as Nebozez. The name derives from the zigzag path leading up the hill to the steading, which is reminiscent of a gimlet (nebozez). On the summit of the Petřín Hill stands the little church of St Laurence, originally a Romanesque temple already mentioned in 1135 (this accounts for the German name for Petřín, which is Laurenziberg). In the Middle Ages the execution of delinquents took place nearby.
In 1891, on the occasion of the holding of the Jubilee Exhibition, Petřín was augmented by further new buildings - the maze, the cable-car and the lookout tower. The construction and assembly of the Lookout Tower was the work of Czech manual workers and technicians lasting several months. The Lookout Tower stands 135.5 metres above the Vltava River at a height above sea level of 324 metres. It is 80 metres high, even though one quarter of this is a TV antenna. The construction weighs 175 tons and there are 299 steps going up to the top. It is built according to the pattern of the Eiffel Tower.
The Charles Baths and the Museum of Music
The group of buildings to the left are the so-called Charles Baths and the building of the Museum of Music. It was built by architect Antonín Wiehl in the style of the Czech Renaissance in 1883. The water tower dates from 1489.
Behind the tower is the building of the former Trnka Mills.
Mills are mentioned in Prague as early as 993. The first mills were on boats and were also known as stranglers. The mill consisted of two flat-bottomed boats joined cross-wise by a beam. On the larger boat was the milling machinery, on the other the hub of the shaft of the water-wheel. Braking was carried out by "strangling" with another wheel fitted to the same shaft. These boat mills were let out into the current of the river and anchored to the bank. Only when the first weirs were built did they begin to construct fixed mills on them.
The oldest mentions of the Kampa date from 1169. This island was separated from the land of the Lesser Town by a narrow channel known as the Čertovka. Sometimes the island was known as Big Venice as a result of its position and picturesque beauty. The name of Kampa dates from 1770. It is connected with a nobleman called Rudolf Tychon Gangeb z Kampu, who owned a house here in the 17th century. There used to be extensive gardens here and this is also considered the possible source of the name - from the Latin word campus, meaning a field. The centre of the Kampa is a little square on which a potters' market is held. In the picturesque environment of the Kampa Island lived personalities such a Jan Werich, Jiří Trnka, the composer Bohuslav Martinů and painter Adolf Kašpar. Built right beside the river are two buildings. One is the former Lichtenštejnský Palace, built of a six-sided ground plan. The second building is known as the Sova Mills (called after the miller Václav Sova z Liboslavě), and from 1850 also called the Odkolkovské Mills. The main building of the mill burned down in 1896 and since then has been a mere torso.
The National Theatre
Built in the years 1868 - 1881 from collections made with the slogan "The Nation to Itself" in pseudo-Renaissance style according to the plans of architect Josef Zitek. Shortly before the completion of the theatre, on 12 August 1881, the building burned down and was reconstructed after the fire by architect Josef Schulz after architect Josef Zitek withdrew due to conflicts with the management of the theatre.
The Bridge of the Legions
The Bridge of the Legions was built in the years 1898 - 1901 by architect Balšánek in place of the older chain bridge of Emperor Ferdinand I from the years 1839 - 1841. This older bridge was 412.74 metres long and 9 metres wide. The opening ceremony for the bridge took place on 4 November 1841 to cries of "Long live His Majesty, our beloved Emperor Ferdinand". The present stone bridge is 343.45 metres long, 18 metres wide and stands on 10 bridge pillars.
On the right we can see stones set into the embankment walls that record the highest levels of the water of the Vltava in past centuries.
Before us there are three islands. By the lock there is Children's Island, in the middle of the river Střelecký Island, across which goes the Bridge of the Legions, and beside the Nationsl Theatre there is Slovanský (Slavonic) Island.
Střelecký (Shooters') Island
This island received its name from the general permission of 1472, when Prague marksmen had their practice area here. On the southern tip of the island architect Zobel built a restaurant for the Prague Corps of Sharpshooters. The first mass display of the Sokol (Falcon) exercises also took place here under the direction of Dr. Miroslav Tyrš in 1882.
The island came into being from deposits and reinforcement in the 18th century. Before 1817 there were baths here and a dyeing works, which is why it was also called Barvířský (Dyers'). In 1830 the island was purchased by the miller Novotný, who built a single-storey restaurant here that became the centre of political and cultural life in the time of the national Revival. On 8 February 1842 the Second Czech Ball was held here, attended by the 23-year-old Božena Němcová. The present building came into being in 1886 through the reconstruction of the old restaurant building. In the large hall concerts were given by Liszt, Berlioz, Jan Kubelik and others. The Žofín was also the scene of the meetings between Zdeněk Fibich and Anežka Schulzová. These meetings inspired Fibich to write his cycle of piano compositions and also the orchestral idyll In the Early Evening, one part of which, adapted by Jan Kubelik, is known all over the world under the title of Poem.
The Smíchov Lock
This was completed in 1922 and here we overcome a difference of 220 cm in the levels of the water between the Old Town Weir and the Šitkovský Weir. Before entering the lock we pass on the left-hand side the bronze allegorical statue of Vltava created in 1916 by the sculptor Josef Pekárek. On the pylon are four allegorical reliefs of the tributaries of the Vltava. Every year on All Souls Day a commemorative service is held here for all those who lost their lives in the Vltava.
As we enter the lock we pass on the right-hand side the water tower built on the smallest of the Prague islands, called after its former owner, the miller Petržílek. The waterworks supplied the whole of the Lesser Town with technical water and functioned right up to 1880. The water was pumped up to the highest level of the tower where there was a metal tank and from there the water flowed under the effect of gravity into the fountains in the town.
At the other end of the lock is the Šitkovská water tower, built in 1495 and built once again in 1591. This tower supplied the fountains in the New Town.
Alongside this tower, on the site of former mills, is the constructivist building of "Mánes", built according to the plans of architect Otakar Novotný in 1930 with association rooms and a café. The Šitkovská tower is a Prague curiosity. It is inclined 70 cm out of the perpendicular and its foundations stand directly on the sandy bank of the river.
The Jirásek Bridge - river km 54.27
This reinforced concrete bridge was built in 1929 according to the plans of Ing. Mencl. Originally it was expected that this bridge would take over the major part of the traffic frequency from the Palacký Bridge, but this did not happen. Irreplaceable damage was caused by the demolition of the Dienzenhofer Pavilion, a beautiful Baroque building on the Smíchov side of the river, during the adaptation of the bridgehead.
Beyond the Jirásek Bridge on the left-hand side is a building with a globe on the roof built by the family of President Havel. Jaroslav Vrchlický lived a little further on.
The Dancing House
This building stands on the site of a neo-Renaissance building destroyed during the air-raids on Prague in February 1945. The foundation stone was laid in September 1994. The plans for this modern building were prepared by architect Vlado Milunič, who was born in Croatia, and the American architect Frank Gehry. He encoded a man and a woman in the architecture - a dancing couple symbolising the famous Hollywood dancers Ginger Rodgers and Fred Astaire.
The Palacký Bridge
This was built in the years 1876 - 1878 according to the plans of architects B. Munzbergr and J. Reiter. In 1951 it was widened for the increasing traffic. In the years 1889 - 1897 four group statues by J. V. Myslbek were placed at the corners of the bridge. Today they are at Vyšehrad. On the New Town side there were Libuše and Přemysl and Lumír and Píseň, damaged during the February air-raid. On the Smíchov side there were Ctirad and Šárka and Záboj and Slavoj. J. V. Myslbek sought his inspiration in the manuscripts of Hradec Králové and Zelená Hora.
Before the bridge on the bank stands the memorial to historian František Palacký. It is the work of sculptor Stanislav Sucharda and architect Alois Dryák from the years 1905 - 1907.
Immediately after the Palacký Bridge on the left-hand side stands the monastery Na Slovanech, also known as the Emmaus. The monastery and church were founded by Charles IV. The building was consecrated on Easter Monday, 29 March 1372, the day on which the Evangelium tells of the appearance of Christ to the disciples travelling to Emmaus. This was the origin of the name. This building was also damaged during the bombing of Prague by the British and American Airforces on 14 February 1945. The original tower of the church was destroyed and replaced by modern towers in 1967.
In 1395 the Glagolithic part of the so-called Rheims Evangelium was written here, on which the Kings of France took their oath up to 1782.
The founding of this monastery was one of the most significant acts of Charles IV. It was built for the Slavonic Benedictines, who were meant to gather here from the Slavonic areas, work here for the intensification of spiritual life and also, in symbiosis with the Latin monasteries, help to remove the divide between the Western and Eastern churches.
This was an old fishing district mentioned on record as early as 1199. Podskalí had its period of greatest fame thanks to the timber trade. When the New Town was founded in 1348 it was included within its fortifications.
The people of Podskalí are among the typical characters of Prague. On the stage they were presented by the actor František Ferdinand Šamberk in 1882 in the comedy called after them and which he wrote himself.
Under the Railway Bridge on the left and below the level of the road one can see the building of the customs house known as Výtoň. The building itself is Late Gothic from the period around 1500, later reconstructed. Toll was collected here and also stone was taken from the carts as a further levy. This gives this part its name Na Výtoni.
The Railway Bridge
The original construction was built in the years 1871 - 1872 according to the project of architect František Kuněta. When it was worn out in 1901 the old construction of the bridge was exchanged for a new three-arch bridge. The reconstruction was prepared by the firm of the Prášil brothers and they carried it out in the space of 36 hours with the use of special technology. The exchange began on 30 September and on 1 October 1901 the new construction was set in place.
We are now approaching Vyšehrad. The area on the cliffs above the Vltava is one of the most memorable in Czech history. According to legend this was the seat of the first mythological Czech princes. Here resided Forefather Krok, this is where it is said that the message was sent to Přemysl the Ploughman in Stadice, from here Princess Libuše foretold the greater glory of Prague, here the conflict of the yeomen Chrudoš and Šťáhlav was settled, it was here that Bivoj brought the wild boar on his sturdy back, caught in the nearby forests, and it was from here that the loyal horse Šemík leapt across the ramparts with his master Horymír on his way to Neumětely.
In the years 1710 - 1140 Vyšehrad was the seat of the Přemysl dynasty when they left Prague Castle for this time. In the time of prince Vratislav II a Romanesque palace was built here, the Church of St Peter and St Paul, the Church of St Laurence and the St Martin's Rotunda - one of the three Romanesque rotundas preserved.
Emperor Charles IV again revived its importance, fortified it and built a Gothic palace here, as well as reconstructing the Church of St Peter and St Paul in Gothic style. In the 2nd half of the 17th century brick Baroque ramparts were constructed here and Vyšehrad became a military stronghold. The Capitular Church of St Peter and St Paul was again reconstructed in pseudo-Gothic style in the years 1885 - 1887 by architect Mocker. From the seventies of the 19th century the Vyšehrad cemetery became the national burial ground for worthy personalities of our nation. The centre became the common memorial stone entitled Slavín, constructed in the years 1889 - 1893. Buried in this graveyard are such figures as A. Dvořák, B. Smetana, B. Němcová, E. Destinová, A. Mucha, J. Vrchlický, M. Aleš and others. On the anniversary of the death of Bedřich Smetana on 12 May the concerts of the Prague Spring Festival begin in the Rudolfinum after a memorial ceremony at his grave.
Here, below the Vyšehrad cliffs, lived another of the three Prague water-goblins. This one, unlike his neighbour on the Kampa, was friendly to the people around him and did not play any nasty tricks on them. On the contrary a local man, knowing that the water-goblin is defenceless on dry land, wounded him. The water-goblin foretold his revenge and terrified the man to such an extent that he feared to come near the water. But this did not help him. The threat of the water-goblin was fulfilled. The man choked after inhaling soup from his spoon.
Cisařská louka (Imperial Meadow)
This is an artificial island, which came into being in 1903 with the construction of the Smíchov log harbour. The island was very popular with those fond of bathing and rendezvous. It is these times gone by that are recalled by Karel Hašler in his song about the poplar alley on the island.
The Church of St Philip and St James
Just before we turn we can see on the right-hand side on a low cliff the little Church of St Philip and St James. There, where the waters of the Vltava lap the cliffs, the legend states that one can still see the hoofprint left by Šemík as he climbed onto the bank with Horymír.